Tuesday, October 09, 2007

not a deficit disorder but close

I came to the computer desk simply to get a highlighter to take back to the kitchen table where I was studying as I finished my morning coffee. (I'm still trying to master katakana, the character set/syllabary used to write foreign words like su-i-i-to ko-o-n or sweetcorn. It's one of the hardest parts of Japanese for me. I think I should be able to recognize the word and then it sounds different and I just can't figure it out).

Anyway, while I was here at the desk, didn't I say, "Oh, I'm just going to log on and check my UNU mail because B never answered my e-mail yesterday." And while I was doing that, I remembered that I never downloaded an interesting article I've been meaning to read that is part of the course material of the two classes the UNU media studio (where I'm volunteering) is running right now.

And then in downloading the article, I thought, man my work at UNU is so interesting and yet I haven't blogged about it. I really should blog more (though I think I lost a large part of my readers due to my steadily declining inspiration +lack of time to blog).

And voilĂ , in the space of an hour, my hyperactivity took me from studying to e-mailing to downloading to blogging, plus a phone call and one doorbell ring answered, some dishes done, bedroom tidied and a little dog-playing thrown in too. Why can I never seem to sit still until late in the evening (after work, walking dog, making dinner) when I run out of steam?

So yes, I'm really enjoying the media studio. Environmental topics have long interested me so it's nice to be back in that milieu. But the advanced e-learning and the whole wiki & open course ware stuff was new to me and it's exciting.

I only wish everyone, myself included, had more time to pursue self-study of all the fascinating topics that are increasingly available (for free!) online. Or perhaps I just need more focus? I should ask my new Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner to prescribe me some herbs for that too.

Comments:

i'm still reading, kyaroru-san! hang in there with the katakana - i have a hard time with it too! :)
 
Hi Carol,

I have to tell you that WOW, I find the article VERY interesting and I haven't finished it yet. I read half of it yesterday in the metro, and I will finish it today.

Kisses
 
JJ: Thanks for giving me a sign that my blog's alive! heehee. I really admire you with your continuing study of Nihon-go. Totemo muzukashii, ne! At least for me. I guess I'm in discouraged mode again...

Carmen: Oh wow, I'm glad you're reading it. I still haven't had a chance. But I've read some of the comments and hot debate it started among the students of the course. Very pertinent stuff these days...
 
hai, totemo muzukashii desu ne! but ganbarimasu, kyaroru-san - it can definitely be really difficult and discouraging, but the people and the culture are so wonderful that it really makes me want to be a part of it all! :)

do you have a good electronic dictionary? i'm getting one delivered soon and i'm already starting to feel more confident about my studies!
 
Good for people to know.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?