Thursday, January 17, 2008

iroirona mono

or various things. I have a particular fondness for the Japanese word for various, iroirona. Iro is color and na is the suffix that turns something into an adjective. So if you translate hyper-literally, iroirona is colourcolourful. Sugoi, desu ne?

As you might guess, I'm a little tipsy on a juice-glass full of nihonshu after a bad afternoon at work. Particularly, a long and painful meeting that was dominated by a repetitive windbag of a man, the Poop on whom I'll have to give you in secret someday, if you know what I mean. Alas, the frustrating part is that I'm a lowly part-time sub-assistant so I cannot say much in these meetings, whilst I long to tear people such as he a new one.

But I'm getting off course, I was going to do a list.

Latest fear: I stretched my stomach with all the over-eating we did during the holidays while A's cuz was here. Did I mention that he said, on his departure, that his fav part of the trip was the food? Anyhow, proof of the stretch is that I just ate a half plate of lentils and wild rice, plus a half-baguette smoked salmon sandwich and I'm still hungry and thinking about an ice cream parfait! And this after a fairly large seto lunch. I don't know if I've explained before but a "set" meal is a tray of various dishes. Today's was dominated by a fairly large bowl of rice sprinkled with tiny fish and peppercorn/caper-like things and accompanied by a nice miso soup, a plate of fried small fish, a bowl of stewed veg and tofu-ish stuff (long story), plus the requisite couple of tiny bowls of pickled this and that. But luckily, stretched or not, I've got the G mutt to keep me trim. I just have to walk a little further next month.

Which brings me to the Winter weather complaints dep't: I and various other Canadians have apparently acclimatized to Japanese temps. Several compatriots have been complaining to me lately how "cold" it is and tonight it's 4 C out and I cut G's walk short because I wasn't wearing a hat and felt quite cold myslef. This recent snap arrived the day after I posted/boasted about how warm it'd been. Jinx yerself much?

Best recent downloads: I've posted before about how much we're enjoying Bit Torrent, but forgive me if I'm behind the times with my raves about the film "Notes on a Scandal". I think I'm a bit more "with it" when I crow about stumbling onto 9.5 hours of very cool music. Don't take my word, fellow-torrentials should search up "Indie/Rock playlist" (I got December's but January's is avail. too) on Mininova and get groovin'!

New fav dictionary site: Impatient word geeks such as myself will soon be addicted as me to the fastest dictionary online. It's called ninjawords, check it out!

Did you know? Dinosaurs had feathers. No seriously, there's a program on Animal Planet right now and they're saying that bird feathers evolved from dino scales.

Days remaining till we're drool-free and don't have to worry about G wounding the drooler: one. The poor D's parents are coming home this weekend. I think he'll have nightmares of G lunging for his neck for awhile to come (she attacked him twice yesterday).

I'm sure there were other silly things I wanted to say but I've just made my parfait and need to wrap myself in a blankie in order to eat it. Canadian? Humpf, pretty soon I won't be permitted to call myself so!

Comments:

you are too freakin' cute, eating your ice cream wrapped in a blanket!!! notes on a scandal is amazing isn't it?! Right now i'm reminiscing while watching the whole series of twin peaks. awww kyle maclachlan and his love of coffee. you mention eating lots, but all you're eating is good for you food, so i wouldn't worry too much!
miss you so much, wish i was there!
*hugs*
h
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?