Sunday, March 23, 2008

toads, magnolias and more Thailand

Just got back from a 40 minute jog/powerwalk with G-dog (she can't run the whole way, she gets pooped) around the Imperial residence so forgive my adrenaline high, haven't done cardio in awhile! G drank a bunch of water and then plopped. She's almost two now, after all. Not as much puppy spark!

I've been wanting to post recently, about spring in Tokyo, and how nice it's been this year. Warmer than usual apparently (17C this weekend), and consequently the pollen count is 3x higher than normal, so you see lots of people wearing surgical masks. I too have considered it, for G's nightly walk at least, but haven't gotten around to going to buy some. And at least I don't get all the nasal symptoms some people get, just tiredness and swollen itchy eyes.

Allergies aside, the cherry blossoms are about to pop. Next weekend the hanami madness (basically a picnic/party under/near the sakura trees) will start in all the parks, cemeteries, etc. We're going to try a place outside of town, a bit north, just because the huge crowds are not really my idea of fun.

About the toads, I meant to video them but missed my chance. There was a week or so when they were all over a certain part of the cemetery path every eve, croaking and mating and Grace found it quite fascinating.

And the magnolias? Maybe I'll get a shot today, before it's too late, they're past their peak I think. Quite a stunning tree the big magnolia is when it's in full bloom. There are no leaves on the tree, just large hand-sized white flowers.

Lastly, I will probably blog a bit about Thailand soon. I've been busy doing research for another trip I'm taking there in May with my sister. Looks like we're going to spend a couple of days in Bangkok and then take the train down south and hop a ferry to an island popular for diving (we're both snorkelers), called Ko Tao. I'm even considering learning how to dive, it's super cheap there.

Okay, gotta run. It's A's 35 b-day tomorrow and I've got shopping to do and a cheesecake to bake!

Comments:

Hey,

Happy birthday to Alan!

Carmen
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?