Monday, April 21, 2008

the $200 chocolate bar

So the star of this show, little miz white inu, tried to off herself this past weekend and it would've been death by chocolate had her stomach not been pumped. Yes, fine, it was a nice quality 85% cacao jumbo bar that I treat myself to now and again, but ni man en (200 smackeroos)? Ouch. That was some 'spensive chocobarf the vet had my mutt producing all over the examining room floor.

But such is the price for Tokyo doggie doctoring and we, the guilty ones, were more that willing to ensure the furry one's well being. After all, I never should've left the damn chocolate on the den coffee table and Aran certainly should not have left the den door open (we always, always close it since G can easily jump the counter that separates the den from the kitchen, a place not safe from maurading G, who can open cupboards and whatnot).

See for those of you who did not know it, and I actually met a dog owner today who did not, chocolate can be toxic for dogs. In particular, it's a chemical component called theobromine they just don't have the enzymes to process. Enough of the stuff can give them anything from a case of diarrhea to seizures or heart attack.

Of course we probably overreacted a touch but info on how to figure out what quantity is dangerous varies quite a bit on the web so at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday after a bad night's sleep (I have a hacking cough), we decided to just go with the vet's advice to come in for treatment, as a precaution.

But I think the worst part for poor little puppy-pie, after the foamy brown vomit the vet caused her to spew, was that she had to fast the whole day until dinner time. Well didn't she repeatedly try the "giving her paw" routine I recently taught her? I can attest that that our little eating machine suffered no ill effects whatsoever from that $200 candy.


OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh, my God! I am so happy she is well. I read a lot about the cocoa, chocolate. My dogs don't know what it is the chocolate yet. The only thing with cocoa they have tested is a bit of icecream, which they adore.
I will send you some pictures with my babies lately.

poor inu-chan - i'm glad grace is okay! i'm surprised more dog owners don't know chocolate is dangerous. our puppy's got a super-sensitive stomach - we have to feed him special (i.e. expensive) food!
Pauvre petit pitou!!! :(
(hey at least she didn't need surgery! :P)
miss you tons...
Hey, whipper ate some advil the other day. we weren't sure how much, but as a precaution, and his vomitting cost over 300$. maybe Japan isn't so expensive afterall..
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?